Friday, August 28, 2009

Food Friday - Industrial Agriculture Sucks

Time magazine has a great article about what's wrong with the way America produces food, Getting Real about the High Price of Low Cost Food.

I like this piece for a couple of reasons. First, it's fairly comprehensive and covers the varied problems with the food industry. American food production is unsustainable for economic and public health reasons, not just the more politically charged reasons of animal welfare and environmental impact. Second, since it appears in a mainstream media source, it's hard to dismiss as the ravings of radicals.

2 comments:

jessejones said...

I saw this on the magazine rack at work. I thought about buying it, now that I know its a good article, I will probably buy it tomorrow, or payday. Payday is the most likely.

Leslie said...

If you don't want to pay for the magazine, you could just read it online.

If you're interested in this stuff, you should see Food, Inc. I haven't seen it but I've heard it's comprehensive and very convincing. I've been immersed in issues about food for a couple of years now so the idea of watching the film just depresses me.